Resources for Students
The McCourt School Office of Career Development and Alumni Engagement offers a wide variety of resources to current students looking to begin or enhance careers in public policy and policy management.
McCourt Connects! is a password-protected database of current jobs and internships with hundreds of posted positions in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. New opportunities are added daily and the weekly career newsletter is also available. There are also career development handouts and job search resources loaded on McCourtConnects!. A Georgetown NetID login and separate password are required. If you cannot remember your log-in or need to reset your password, email Briana Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also use McCourtConnects! to:
- Create job alerts for your preferred employers
- Upload your resume to your Personal Profile
- Browse the Professional Network for McCourt School alumni and students
- Register for career development programs and events
- Schedule an advising appointment
We encourage all students to visit our offices early in the Fall semester to have their resumes/curriculum vitae reviewed and to go over internship and job search strategies. The McCourt School Office of Career Development and Alumni Engagement offers a number of individual services to current students and alumni:
- Individual career advising appointments
- Internship and job search strategies
- Document review and feedback (e.g., resumes, cover letters)
- Interview preparation and mock interviews
- Salary negotiation
- Elevator pitches and professional branding
How to Schedule an Appointment: McCourtConnects!
- To create a counseling request, click on the “Calendar” tab on the top navigation bar. Next, click on the “Counseling Appointment” tab and click “Request New Appointment”.
- Set the Counseling Type filter to view available counselors and to set additional filters.
- Click on a date to see available appointments and select the desired time.
- Once a time is selected, the details will appear and then click “Submit Request”
Workshops & Employer Events
Each semester the McCourt School Office of Career Development and Alumni Engagement offers workshops on different career development skills including networking, resume writing, social media, and interviewing techniques.
Many employers come to speak with McCourt students throughout the academic year. We encourage students to attend as many employer events as possible, as it is a great way to learn about post-graduation employment options. Please contact please contact Lynda Jones, Assistant Director of Employer Relations & Career Development at email@example.com if you have a question about an employer event.Back to Top
Networking & Hoya Gateway
The Office of Career Development and Alumni Engagement offers a variety of resources to allow current students to connect with alumni in a meaningful way, create professional relationships, and grow their network in public policy.
Hoya Gateway is an innovative program that facilitates career-related conversations between current Georgetown students and alumni. It creates an opportunity for generations of Hoyas to connect for in-person, one-on-one meetings in the form of informational interviews, resume reviews, mock interviews or job shadowing.
- Sign into the Hoya Gateway website using your NetID and fill out your profile using your LinkedIn profile to make things go even quicker.
- Students can access the profiles of any Georgetown alumnus who is registered for Hoya Gateway and can request meetings with them.
- To find McCourt School alumni, conduct searches of alumni using keywords “Public Policy,” and “Public Management”
- Recently graduated students have access to alumni through Hoya Gateway for up to six months after they graduate, providing them with another resource in their post-graduation job search.
- Program sign-up and more information about the program can be found on the Hoya Gateway site.
Additionally, Hoya Gateway has launched in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco connecting students with alumni outside the Beltway. For more information or with questions, students can contact Liz Clark (MPP ’14) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgetown University National and International Alumni Clubs: Looking to network outside of DC or internationally? Take a look at the Georgetown University Alumni Clubs both in the U.S. and throughout the world.Back to Top
Business cards enable you to maintain communication with key contacts you meet at social gatherings, employer information sessions or even on the Metro platform. As a student, your business card should include your name, your degree program, the McCourt School of Public Policy and your contact information. First impressions count, so be sure to have your business cards on hand at all times. Ordering business cards with the Georgetown University seal is easy and relatively inexpensive. To order official Georgetown business cards, visit Hoya Printing.Back to Top
Alumni Mock Interview Program
In the spring semester, the Office of Career Development and Alumni Engagement hosts an Alumni Mock Interview Program. The Program provides students with the opportunity to sharpen their interview skills through firsthand practice with McCourt School alumni who offer constructive feedback.Back to Top
The McCourt Fund for Student Excellence provides financial assistance to students that are advancing their careers with substantive and meaningful unpaid summer internships. At the McCourt School of Public Policy, we believe in experiential learning and support students who wish to apply their skills and gain experience while making a difference in their field of interest. Application information is provided to students in the spring semester.Back to Top