Current Position: Global Marketing Director for the Pneumococcal Vaccines at Merck & Co, based in Pennsylvania.
How has the EMPL program shaped the way you approach your work? After only a few months of being part of the program, I already perceive how the EMPL is shaping me as a leader. It has helped me to broaden my perspective and understanding of policy challenges. I have become a more critical thinker and informed professional. I have gained a robust understanding on how different stakeholders, including the private sector, can participate and influence the policy agenda. In summary, the EMPL has sharpened my vision around policy issues, which allows me to come up with more robust analysis and engage more effectively in discussions.
What is your favorite memory from the EMPL program? It is difficult to pick one single memory from the EMPL. Some of the highlights:
- Our discussions on topics that were on the news during the initial 30 minutes of each class during the “Public Policy Process for Executives” course.
- The stories that we shared around challenges that we faced as leaders, when we exposed our vulnerabilities, during the “Communication for Executives” course.
- The rehearsals with our team before delivering a speech on “The Power of Leadership”, with a strong collaborative spirit.
- Hanging out with our colleagues after class.
What would you say to someone considering the EMPL program? I would definitely say “go for it”! The EMPL will undoubtedly bring a lot of value to your career. Some of the highlights of this program are:
- Content: The EMPL is an excellent combination of both public policy and leadership topics.
- Diversity: Our cohort is formed by people from very different backgrounds, experiences, nationalities and age groups. That diversity adds a lot value to the discussions. It allows you to understand and consider other perspectives around policy issues or leadership challenges.
- Networking: This program gives you the opportunity to connect with successful professionals from different areas and geographies.
- Willingness to excel: Students at the EMPL are curious, committed and passionate. Everyone is willing to make an impact in their field. This program gives you some of the tools to make that happen.