Applications Open August 1, 2019
Deadlines: March 15, 2020 (International Applications), April 15, 2020 (Domestic Applications)
We strive to enroll a diverse cohort and encourage applications from high-achieving professionals with demonstrated leadership and management experience (minimum of seven years of professional experience).
All applicants must submit the elements below before they can be reviewed for admissions consideration to the EMPL program. Items are listed in the order they appear on the online application.
A Completed Application to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
All McCourt School programs require an online application to be completed through the Georgetown Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Maximum length 500 words. Your essay should address the following:
What unique abilities would you bring to the program and how obtaining this degree will contribute to the attainment of your personal and professional goals. In addition, the statement should specify why you want to pursue your degree at the McCourt School and how that relates to your career.
The Admissions Committee is very interested in learning about you personally- including any noteworthy or formative aspects of your background and what attracted you to the field of public policy. In 250 words or less, please provide any information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about yourself and/or your future goals. You may also use this optional essay to provide further explanation of any unusual circumstances, such as a period of poor academic performance or a large gap in your resume. If you choose to submit an Optional Statement, please upload it to the Writing Sample section of the application.
NOTE: Writing Samples are not required.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Applicants for admission to the EMPL program must upload a resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) illustrating at least seven years of work experience with their online application. Please feel free to include a list of published work.
Two recommendations are required. Applicants should submit a recommendation from their current supervisor and a second from another professional source (former supervisor or indirect supervisor preferred). The online application utilizes a secure online recommendation system which will:
- automatically email your recommendation providers with instructions for online submission of the recommendation;
- allow applicants to track recommendations received or not received and follow up with recommenders who still need to submit their appraisals;
- expedite the processing of the recommendations, which will be included in the online application once submitted.
In the event your reference cannot access the online recommendation, please contact McCourt School Executive Education staff for instructions.
REVISED REQUIREMENT: Applicants are required to upload to the application system unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Do not send electronic or paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission. Review the unofficial transcript requirements for additional details and FAQs.
Official TOEFL or IELTS for International Students
Our TOEFL code is 5244.
Minimum score is 100
For the IELTS codes, see http://www.ielts.org.
Minimum score is 7.0
All applicants to the EMPL program are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the admission requirement of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. Proficiency can be demonstrated by:
- the receipt of a bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from a university where English is the language of instruction for the entire institution.
- submission of an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report with a minimum score of approximately 600 (paper-based test) or approximately 100 (internet test). (Minimum of 22 on each individual section.)
- submission of an official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academic Module score report with a minimum score of 7.0.
The TOEFL and IELTS must be received directly from the appropriate testing organization. Photocopied/faxed documents will not fulfill this requirement.
Exception: International students who received a bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education where the primary language was English will be considered for an exemption from this requirement. Please contact McCourt School Admissions if you have questions.
Supplemental Data Forms
NOTE: EMPL applicants do not need to fill out the supplemental data form. Simply save a document stating your name and "no supplemental form required" and then upload it to the online application where indicated.
Interviews (by invitation only)
Candidates with strong, compelling applications will be invited to interview with the EMPL Faculty Director.
Applicants must submit a $90.00 non-refundable application fee, payable online by credit card or electronic check at the time of application submission.
The EMPL Program application fee is waived for candidates who are active duty, reservists or veterans of the United States military, or who work in the nonprofit sector.
As you prepare your application to the EMPL Program, please be aware of the following Admissions policies:
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Each applicant is responsible for ensuring his/her application is complete. (Allow up to two weeks for processing and matching of your hardcopy/print materials and standardized test scores.)
- All re-applicants, including those who were previously admitted, are required to complete a new application in its entirety & must submit new application materials including transcripts, recommendations, test scores, and statements.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
- The completed application, including ALL accompanying materials, becomes the confidential property of Georgetown University and cannot be returned to the applicant.
- If application materials are forged, falsified or altered, the Graduate School will notify all relevant officials, including the individual or institution issuing the document(s) and, as appropriate, immigration officers. Submission of such materials will disqualify an applicant for admission.
- Applicants assume all costs for authenticating and verifying documents and information associated with their application.
- Once an application is submitted, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional information from the applicant, including, but not limited to, an interview.
- All applicants who have been asked to interview must fulfill the request in order to complete the application process.
- The McCourt School will consider deferral requests on a case-by-case basis. Except in rare extenuating circumstances beyond an applicant's ability to predict or control, admission is not deferred.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive and privacy requirements, the Office of Executive Education cannot provide decision information over the telephone.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to candidates who are not admitted.
Admissions Status & General Info
All re-applicants, including those who were previously admitted, are required to complete a new application in its entirety & must submit new application materials including transcripts, recommendations, test scores, and statements.
Checking the Status of your Online Application
After you have submitted your application, please review it to make sure we have received all your materials. Only complete applications will be considered. Please allow up to two weeks for processing of your materials. You can check the status of your application by checking your online application.
The Admissions Review Committee considers all parts of your application carefully. Due to application volume and privacy requirements, the Office of Executive Education cannot provide decision information over the telephone.
The McCourt School will consider deferral requests on a case-by-case basis. Except in rare extenuating circumstances beyond an applicant's ability to predict or control, McCourt School does not offer deferred admission.