Qualitative Research Methods
Type of Degree
- October 26-30, 2020
Each day the course runs from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Regular Tuition: $1,995
Students who complete this course will earn 1.2 continuing education units.
This course will engage students with the design, collection, and evaluation of the methodological approaches we commonly think of as “qualitative,” emphasizing interview-based research, ethnography, and comparative research. The course takes students through the stages of various qualitative methods including research design, sampling, designing the instrument, data collection through one or more methods, coding and data analysis, and the writing and presentation of findings. Given that qualitative researchers have closer contact with respondents than other researchers typically do, we will consider ethical responsibilities and the role of social distance in the researcher-respondent relationship.
By the end of the class, students will be able to:
- Provide training in qualitative research by practicing the methods designing a research project;
- Understand the logic through which qualitative research is designed, implemented, and evaluated;
- Consider the various domains in social science and policy where qualitative work has made major contributions;
- Examine the ethical responsibilities of qualitative researchers, who have closer contact with “subjects,” “respondents, “informants” than other researchers typically do;
- Think collectively and critically about the forms of writing (articles, reports, books, memos, briefs, evaluations) that researchers must master to present qualitative work to others.
- People who want to know how to read and evaluate qualitative work, use focus groups and interviews to learn more about a policy approach or product development.
Executive Core Qualification (ECQ) Alignment
The content of this course covers competencies addressed by the following ECQs: Leading Change; Results Driven; Business Acumen.
Looking for Another Course?
The Executive Institute sponsors a variety of short courses throughout the year that help working professionals develop new skills to accelerate their careers. Develop new skills by participating in another short course this year.Back to Top